Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Sushi Goshin by Akashi

The obligatory tissue and chopstick shot

Following up to my ongoing quest of immersing myself to as many authentic Jap restos as possible, I went to Sushi Goshin last week to try the nice and affordable sushi as recommended by food bloggers. Located in basement 1 in Robinsons Orchard, the setup already piqued my interest as I saw servers in Kimonos, sushi Chefs busy preparing the orders and lastly, I didn't hear the cringe-worthy Irasshaimase (or maybe I was too hungry to notice).

No trying-hard posters of Japanese whatever. They mean business.

They served us edamame (green soybean) as side dish while we were ordering in their iPad. I wonder if this is already the norm in Japan. I liked the whole resto's simple layout, the wooden chairs, tables, the plates, the lighting, etc. Everything looked nice.

They gave us a lot actually. I just remembered shooting it when it's nearly gone.


"What did I just get myself into?"

Since I now seldom eat raw food, I ate 1 ika (squid) sushi, 2 tako (octopus) sushi, 2 aburi salmon sushi, 2 kani mayo sushi (crab w/ mayo), 2 inari (beancurd) sushi and 2 tamago (egg) sushi. Both the squid and the octopus were very tough to chew. It lacked flavor and the chef put a lot of wasabi, which made me tear up and clear my nose. The salmon was fresh but nothing too special about it. I'm a sucker for sweet food so the beancurd and tamago sushi for me were the best (and the biggest) compared to its class in other restos that I have been to. Lastly, my favorite there is the kani tobiko sushi; the taste of crab meat and roe mixed with Japanese mayo exploded umami all over my mouth.

Yep, I ate 53% of sushi in these plates.
I can already taste the wasabi from here
Crab meat + roe + Japanese Mayo = Oishi!
I still want those blackened sears at the side.

Overall, it was a good experience for me to appreciate one of Japan's biggest contribution to the food world. You can expect quality sushi here at an affordable price. Service is good, the servers were conscious on our tea cups and empty plates. The sushi chefs were quick enough to prepare our order. But there were maybe 4 or 5 tables occupied then so I wouldn't know if service will change a bit in a full seat resto. I wouldn't mind going back here as I really enjoyed my dining experience and highly recommend you to try it as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment